Reclaim your morning and seize the day.
Having a “ morning routine” allows me to be my best version of me. I can master the madness that is my life and my mind. Yes, you heard me – the madness in my mind. I’m one of those people. My mind will get the best of me in no time should I allow it to run the show. I have a monkey mind, hosting too many thoughts at once and they can easily govern my emotions.
I just recently stopped my routine to test this out. (once in a while we've got to drop it all to see what is no longer needed and what is really effective.
Turns out when I let go of my routine, I do not show up to the best of my ability. I’m more anxious, less capable, unfocused, and reactionary.
Oh well – research done and back to basics.
Here are my favorite 9 Morning Rituals to have my best day, every day!
If you too want a dynamic, fun-filled day, every day? Then start by reclaiming your morning. Create a routine that supercharges your body, mind, and spirit! Put yourself in the right mindset, invigorate your body, and create a positive mental attitude before you look at your phone or engage with the world.
- Ignore your phone in the morning until after breakfast. Try keeping your phone on airplane mode until you are “ready” to mindfully engage with the world. Limit your screen time as much as possible when you first wake up. Don’t be a slave to your gadgets. (And, really, your phones shouldn't be in your bedroom at all.)
- Meditate upon awakening Make it a rule and create some triggers around it. For example, as soon as the alarm goes, off sit in a comfortable position for at least five minutes. Set a timer so you know when it's time to stop. If you struggle with meditation, try guided meditations, mobiles apps, or mantras. Sometimes simply focusing on your inhales and exhales will suffice. Trust me. If you do this for two weeks every day, you’ll get the hang of it and start seeing some significant changes.
- Drink an 8oz glass of warm water with lemon It will wake you up, hydrate your body, and jumpstart your metabolism. You body can be dehydrated after sleeping for a full seven to nine hours. Ease off the caffeine – it only makes you feel sluggish in the morning.
- Take a Hot Shower Start your day with a nice hot shower. It’s getting colder outside and having a warm shower warms up your body and awakens your muscles. It get rid of the achiness. Allow yourself to ease into the day. NO need to shock your system awake with cold water. Be kind to yourself. It’s best done before you work out or stretch.
- Move your body. Stretch or go for a walk or run. My personal favorite is a personalized yoga practice every morning anywhere between 5 -95 minutes each day. Establishing a yoga practice will help you get tuned into your body, mind, and soul.
- Eat breakfast A healthy, high protein, low sugar breakfast (plant proteins are fine and FYI carbs = sugar! ) This will jumpstart your metabolism and help prevent over-snacking later. Even if you don't have a lot of time, a quick breakfast is better than none. Try nuts, greens or smoothies.
- Feed your mind Walk into the day with intention. Don’t just show up without an agenda. Read a personal development book, watch a motivational video, or listen to light and positive music while sipping green tea. You will find yourself listening to some pieces of music or videos over and over again and still learn something new each time.
- Set an intention for the day Try jotting something down in your journal or yelling out a positive mantra. Visualize something awesome you want to have happen in your day. Whatever it is, give yourself direction for the day!
- Practice joy and gratitude
- Write down 3 things that you love about your life.
- Write down 3 things that get you excited about the day ahead.
Look – I know it’s not easy to stick to these routines. I have found that whenever I do, I have a great day no matter what rolls down the hill. And when I don’t, I am far more likely to get tripped up by life’s passing dramas.
It’s not easy to create a routine and sometimes really hard to keep it – but it’s really, really worth it. That I can promise
Do you want a dynamic life? Start by reclaiming your morning and set the tone for the day. Don’t just waste it on Facebook, getting sucked into the email vortex, and other peoples’ agendas.
Give this a try for two weeks and let me how it goes! Reach out HERE
Feel free to post comments below.